• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NTV Reveals Results of Investigation Into Sexy Tanaka-san Live-Action Series After Hinako Ashi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:26 pm Reply with quote
In other words ntv blames shogakukan and vica versa.

Well Japan it's time you started putting things in writing, in contracts, for things like this instead of doing everything by the literal honor system.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
This whole situation is super unfortunate, and feels like it could’ve been easily avoided.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that this is going to get cited when Oshi no ko's second season starts airing. It's sad, but I also can't help but think people are going to say that the next season will be 'profiting off this latest tragedy' while ignoring that the series was written long before that.
turnsie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It's giving "We've investigated ourselves and cleared ourselves of any wrongdoing".

I feel like I have to be misunderstanding something here: if NTV was completely unaware of the three conditions proposed by Shogakukan, how did Hinako Ashihara end up writing the scripts for the last two episodes anyway?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:17 pm Reply with quote
turnsie wrote:
It's giving "We've investigated ourselves and cleared ourselves of any wrongdoing".

I feel like I have to be misunderstanding something here: if NTV was completely unaware of the three conditions proposed by Shogakukan, how did Hinako Ashihara end up writing the scripts for the last two episodes anyway?
Yeah, this "investigation" honestly reeks a lot and feels more like pointing fingers to the publisher side instead of finding the root, because it contradicts entirely Ashihara's own words in her blog before her death.

1) Ashihara said that she passed the condition to the production team by Shogakukan, and she checked if they agree on her conditions MULTIPLE times before the production

2) She had the initial script before the production started, while also she left the notes for production team for the last two episodes

3) After looking up at the script and finding out that it's completely deviates from the manga despite the agreement, she sended complaints through the Shogakukan for nearly entire month, with no avail

4) The involvement to the complete writing of the script for the last two episodes was literally started because despite it was nearly the deadlines, she used up the part of the production contract where Ashihara could, as necessary, write the parts of the scripts for live-action herself. Yes, the third condition was literally written part of agreements before the production, so NTV supposed to knew at least that for sure.

The question is - who is in the middle between production team at NTV and Shogakukan actually screwed up to the point that it ended up tragically?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:44 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

The question is - who is in the middle between production team at NTV and Shogakukan actually screwed up to the point that it ended up tragically?

From my experience in the industry it's likely some overworked middle-level producers/editorial assistant staff, who avoid giving more information to each other than "necessary" and likely didn't report any issues up to their managers honestly. They buried their heads in the sand hoping to get through what was probably a cursed project for many reasons "rocking the boat" as little as possible because that's the kind of work culture that's encouraged. And this is what resulted.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't say it feels like this really clarifies or fixes anything, I can only hope that in the future there is better communication or respect to the creator so a tragedy like this never happens again.
Waalex11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:15 am Reply with quote
There's no excuse to their behavior and shortcomings or whatever else they've done.
They don't deserve to finish it. They shouldn't. They failed to be faithful from the start.

RIP. Sucks.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:53 am Reply with quote
So NTV investigated themselves and found NTV was totally innocent. Sure Jan.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
This would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic.

Oshi no Ko was mentioned here, and I have to mention that adaptations with complete disregard for the author's wishes is something that has been covered in the first season.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So NTV investigated themselves and found NTV was totally innocent. Sure Jan.

It's the same writing style as transport accident reports or inquest findings: there's a skill to reading them. They're written with a low-affect/emotional intensity style and are limited to what can be *proven*, so:
+ You need to read the words, not the vibe (because there is no vibe)
+ You need to read the words carefully, because there'll be gaps of 99% "almost certainly" deductions that won't be paved over.
+ Special trick: where they use words like "inadequate" that's probably where the fuckup was identified.

Anyway, just by the extracts this seems to be pointing to a specific person on the Shogakukan side who didn't convey to the production team what the manga-artist told them too, and then lied about it, because they didn't respect the right of the artist to have preferences about the adaption of their work. They aren't named or identified, but everyone involved knows who they are, so. And the TV executive statements are "we trusted that shogakukan wouldn't just lie about what their artist wants but we can't do that any more".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1